Monday, June 8, 2009

ARENAL

So last weekend, our excursion was to Arenal/La Fortuna. For those of you who don't know, it's an active volcano here in Costa Rica. (Pictures to follow/I took pictures with a waterproof camera so I don't have them developed) Annyywwayyyy...We left here-on the same damn bus that makes me really sick-at some ridiculous early time, like 6 in the morning on Saturday the 30th. On the way we stopped at a really cool church and took some pictures. They had some pretty cool landscaping with these bushes in the front, so we all took advantage of that and had some goofy photo shoots.And then in the same town we also had breakfast at this cool little restaurant and then continued on our way. Our next stop was probably one of my favorites, at least thus far into Costa Rica, as of last weekend. We went to the waterfall at La Fortuna. WOW. I can't even describe it, but hiked down this huge mountain and got to the base of the waterfall and were allowed to swim in it! It was freezing freezing cold, but such a blast. However, while I was walking over all the rocks to get to the water, I completely busted my ass and have a very lovely purple/greenish bruise on my bottom. We all basically just got to splash around in this pool next to the waterfall and try not to get beat up by all the rocks under the water for about an hour. Hike back up the huge hill, definitely a work out, but definitely worth it. Also, while there we checked out the souvenir shop and I got the roomies gifts, you guys will love them, and of course some stuff for myself. Next, we got to La Fortuna, like downtown area, (if you google it, pics will come up of downtown with the volcano in the background) and ate lunch there. I got really excited because there was fajitas on the menu, and they were ok, but I swear they don't believe in spicy food here. I can't wait to get back and get some Tex Mex and eat some Klemente Picante. Anyway, after that we went to our hotel which was actually built on the side of the volcano. The pools at the hotel were actual hotsprings coming from the side of the mountain so that was really neat. I didn't go do anything extra, just kind of stayed at the hotel, but it was a really nice getaway from Heredia. I think the pollution was actually starting to make me sick, so it was really enjoyable to NOT be in a crowded area and have space. Probably the neatest part was that from the balcony from our room on one side we had a perfect view of the volcano and the smoke coming out of it and everything. Apparently the thing only erupts at night, around 2 am or so, but I think only Sara woke up and saw it. Sunday Maggie, Alejandra, and I got up for our free breakfast and then promptly headed to the pool until checkout time and it was fantastic. Then, we had a wonderful lunch complete with gallo pinto, frescos, and flan, and then headed back to Heredia. The good thing about our first two trips is that we actually got back earlier than planned and I had time to go to church at 6pm both Sundays. Last Sunday I got Alisha and Melissa to go with me and we tried to group translate portions of the mass. Also, Alisha's host dad was one of the lectors, so that was pretty cool too. AND, this completes my Arenal/La Fortuna weekend, more on day-to-day and Manuel Antonio to come soon!
P.S. All these pictures are clickable, so if you want to make them bigger to see, just click!

1 comment:

  1. Love you Lizard!!!! Looks like you're having a blast! Yay!

    ReplyDelete