Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ayiii, caminado mucho..

Class is going really well. We've done a lot of reading articles and discussing them(current events type stuff) and learning culture and geography of Costa Rica in class. Yesterday we took kind of a pop quiz, but more like an aptitude test kind of, and I think it was to see if we could stay in the advanced class or/to see what we needed to work on more. We got it back today and I got a Muy Bien! on the top, so I figure I'm ok.
This weekend is our first excursion and we're going to Monteverde, which is a cloud forest. Different from a rain forest because of the altitude and the clouds are actually within the forest. We leave at 1 tomorrow and get there around 6 or so. Saturday is for all optional excursions. There's a lot to choose from to do, from canopy tours to ATV tours to horseback riding. Some of them are kind of expensive, but I'm just sticking to the canopy tour. We get to go zip-lining and go off of a Tarzan swing and just get a basic guide through the forest. It's gonna be pretty darn sweet. :) After we do whatever tours I think we have free time, and some of us might take a taxi into town that night and try to hit up the local joints...dunno...Then we're back to Heredia by 6 on Sunday night. Hopefully earlier, so I can make it to the iglesia para la misa.
Tuesday it absolutely POURED here, like more rain than normal, but yesterday it didn't rain at all which was really nice for walking around. Today it didn't rain as much either, and I finally made my sombrilla purchase, because I've been walking around without one. Wednesdays are dos por uno en el cine en el Paseo de las Flores, so a bunch of us went to a movie last night. Turns out it's also dos por uno for the margaritas in the bar in the mall too. We watched Star Trek and was actually pretty good. The only thing is that almost all the movies are in English but with Spanish subtitles. However, some of the previews were in Spanish, and I really really really want to see Up! in Spanish. I can't even convey how excited I am about that movie and about Ice Age 3. I'm pretty sure I was the only one laughing like a 5 year old for those previews. AMAZING. I wish Up! came out while I was here, but I'll just have to find it in Espanol when I get back. Anyway, after we saw the movie, we went to a bar called Pollo Cervecero and just split some pitchers of Imperial. Almost like being at the Chicken, but not quite..haha, although it's the closest thing I'm gonna get to it, drinking with those guys from Texas, so I'm gonna take it.
Today, I walked SO MUCH. My ankles and knees are going to really be upset by the time I leave here, but that's ok, it's good exercise. Anyway, I layed out for the first time today at my friend's house and got to visit another family, which was pretty cool. Her Tico mom brought us fresh pineapple when we were outside and she was soo soo nice. Also, this evening en el gimnasio, I was somehow convinced to take a class entitled solamente 'Baile', when we didn't even know which type of dance it was going to be. So of course, I'm completely white in my dancing and was outdone by the latinos, but it was pretty fun anyway. Mom, you woulda loved it. :) And Sarah, you would have laughed. Haha. Oh and next to the gym is a bar entitled El Cholo. No te preocupes Sarita, I'm going to take a picture and send it to you/go there. :]
The food is still pretty good, although last night we had liver and onions. ( I know dad..) Sara couldn't finish hers, but I was hungry so I masked the flavor with the other vegetables we had plus the rice. And one of my favorite games is still 'guess the fruit of the fresco'. Last night was zanahoria y naranja (carrots and oranges) and I was right on the money. I know that sounds weird, but they're all really really good.
Aaannnyyywwwaaayyyy, long post, but I need to get to bed. I have a long but exciting weekend in front of me. Estoy cansada.
Les amo, buenas noches.

1 comment:

  1. Lizard! Glad to hear everything is going great! I'm SO jealous! Can't wait to see all these pictures! Sounds like you're having a blasty blast, miss ya!

    ReplyDelete