Well, I got here yesterday around 1-ish in the afternoon our time, so about 2pm in Texas. I was the very first to get here and had to try to stay real calm and look like I knew what I was doing as I went through immigration, baggage claim, customs, and then walking out of the airport into the people screaming "taxi! taxi!" in my face all by myself. I'm pretty positive I accomplished this very well, or better than I thought I would. We drove to the universidad and were picked up by our host families there. My family is so so nice. Mi mama tica(Costa Ricans refer to themselves as ticos) is an amazing cook and so nice. We've had some kind of freshly made juice with every meal. Last night it was raspberry, this morning it was carrot, and tonight we had cantaloupe juice. It's not really juice though. It's called fresco, and it's kind of like a smoothie, but with water and ice and fresh fruit and sugar mixed in the blender. Hard to explain, but delicious. I digress. The rest of the family is cool too. The father Luis is really funny. When we don't understand something he mimes it out for us and then makes it into a joke so that everyone, including us, can laugh at us together. Luis's mother also lives with us, as well as their two children, Luis y Melissa. All of them are really really helpful and very nice to us.
Before I got here, I didn't think I was going to have a roommate. Thankfully, I got one and her name is Sara (big change) and she's from Washington D.C. We get along pretty well, and she's actually letting me use her computer right now to type this, so I'm really thankful she's here! The rest of the students in the program all seem really cool too. There's three of us here from A&M, so it's nice to see some maroon and AMC logos besides just my own. :)
Today we had our orientation and got to go to the school and get a tour and all that jazz. This afternoon we timed the walk and I think it's gonna be a good 20 minutes, fast-paced walk to school. It shouldn't be that bad though because it doesn't rain in the mornings and it's pretty cool outside then too. Class starts at 7:30, which is a little earlier than I'm used to, but we get out at 10:30, so we have plenty of time to explore and go on excursions and what not. I'm definitely looking forward to going to the mountains and white water rafting as well. Most everything is either really cheap or very reasonably priced, so I'm hoping to be able to enjoy most of the extras that come my way. Tonight, I went to my first ever Spanish mass, which was interesting, but not that different from ones in the U.S. I was really grateful that some parts and songs were in Latin, so I actually knew those ones! Other than that it was a lot of guessing of what was being said.
Well, I guess I should leave some stories for when I get back, AND I have to get up ridiculously early to get to the university early for first day of class. Don't worry Mom, I'm gonna get someone to take a picture.
Buenas Noches. Les amo. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your host family sounds wonderful. Ask them for a Horchata fresco. It's rice and cinnamon and is amazing.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you made it in ok. Take care.
oh my gosh, I love it that you are doing this. Don't stop! I know you are going to be busy, but it is so fun getting to hear about life there!! I can't wait to see some pictures. I have to make sure to get back to g'ville when you get back so that I can hear all of the little details and see all the pictures. You are awesome little sis!
ReplyDelete